Episcopal Church Grants
Episcopal Congregations Caring for Minnesota’s Children
Honoring over 130 years of serving Minnesota’s vulnerable children and 30+ years as a foundation with this mission, Sheltering Arms Foundation continues its ongoing grantmaking partnership with Episcopal Congregations to serve Minnesota's most vulnerable children.
This grant program provides grants up to $1,000 (maximum) for projects conducted by Minnesota Episcopal congregations that seek to improve the lives of children and families in Minnesota.
Kinds of projects funded: We will support projects that help congregations improve the lives of vulnerable children, youth and their families. This could be a program run by the congregation on behalf of its own children, should they fall into that category or a program doing outreach to families in need. The funds could also support advocacy efforts within the congregation on behalf of vulnerable children.
Examples include: a literacy program for young English learners, a nursery run by a congregation for low-income children, an effort to educate a congregation about children’s issues at the legislature or a teen service program to benefit children in need.
Timeline: Applications are due April 1, 2017. Grant recipients will be notified in May. Grant payments are distributed in July. Eligible projects will occur between July 2017 – June 2018.
Preferences: Preference is given to parishes that have not received Sheltering Arms funding but the Foundation will consider requests from previous applications for a second year request. Preference is also given to projects that have at least one other funding source, evidence of parish volunteer and financial commitment.
Criteria for consideration:
- All grant requests must have a program budget (showing all sources of funding/expenses).
- All grant requests must be signed by the Senior Warden or Priest.
- The parish must be located in and provide services within the state of Minnesota.
- One grant request per parish.
How to apply for funding: Please submit a 1-2 page letter describing your project. The letter should identify the following:
- Contact info: name, address, phone number and e-mail.
- Parish Federal Tax ID #.
- A description of the program goals, the children children served; those involved in carrying out the project; and the outcomes you intend to accomplish.
- A brief budget identifying sources of income and expenditures for the project.
- Upon receiving a grant from Sheltering Arms a signed grant agreement must be returned to the Foundation before the grant award is received.
- Upon completion of the project, a brief report will be submitted to the Foundation.
Deadline: The grant request is due April 1, 2017
Questions: please call 612-871-9210