Sheltering Arms Sunday
We invite you to participate in Sheltering Arms Sunday on February 5, 2017
The Bishop has chosen this day to honor the mission of The Sheltering Arms Foundation. On this Sunday, we are calling on our faith communities to consider what can be done to nurture and protect vulnerable children, and what roles they can play in making this happen.
Here are some ideas to incorporate Sheltering Arms Sunday in your worship service:
- Use SAF bulletin Insert
- Involve Children & Youth (see ideas below)
- Use or adapt SAF advocacy brief information in your service
- Use or adapt Prayers of the People
- Use or adapt Worship Resources (Lectionary text and story suggestions, Prayers, Lesson Plans)
- Invite guest speakers on Feb 7 (these might include legislators, children’s advocates, current/former SAF trustees)
- Incorporate a special blessing for children or children’s sermon
- Collect a special offering for SAF and its mission of helping children and families or designate a portion of the day's collection
Encourage the Children & Youth to participate in activities:
- Draw pictures for the bulletin cover
- Ask children and youth to assist and greet worshipers as they arrive and depart
- Have children and youth light candles
- Involve children in the offering collection
- Organize special music for children to present
- Ask children and youth to read prayers and scripture passages
- Use or adapt suggested lesson plans
Grants for Episcopal Faith Communities
Sheltering Arms offers grants up to $1,000 to Episcopal Faith Communities for programs focusing on vulnerable children. Contact SAF for more information or visit the website for guidelines.
Applications are due April 1, 2017.
Sheltering Arms actively advocates for children and youth in Minnesota. See what we do, who we partner with and what you can do as a caring advocate by accessing our Children's Advocacy Brief.
Like us on Facebook!
Sheltering Arms has a facebook page! Forward to five of your friends and help us increase awareness about the needs of vulnerable children and the work of The Sheltering Arms Foundation.
Sheltering Arms values the partnership that we have been able to create with Episcopal faith communities and hope Sheltering Arms Sunday will be a chance to deepen the great work that you are already doing on behalf of Minnesota's most vulnerable children.